Commercial Real Estate Transactions for Maryland, DC, Virginia and Nationwide
Across the United States and predominantly in the Greater Washington DC Metropolitan area, our Commercial Real Estate Transactions Group leverages its deep knowledge of real estate law and highly skilled deal-making attorneys into excellent service for both public and private clients for all asset types. Drawing on our vast experience and expertise, we are able to identify our clients’ objectives and successfully negotiate, document and close all types of real estate transactions, obtaining the successful results our clients expect. Working closely with related practice groups, we advise clients through all phases of a real estate transaction. Our attorneys also handle 1031 exchanges, joint venture transactions and joint ownership arrangements, including condominiums, cooperatives and tenancies-in-common arrangements.
Our attorneys handle transactions in all varieties of asset classes, including:
- Office buildings
- Retail/shopping centers
- Multi-family residential complexes
- Residential projects
- Mixed-use projects
- Hotels and recreational complexes
- Affordable housing
- Planned unit development
Our representative clients include:
- Purchasers, sellers and lenders of office, hospitality/hotel, retail, industrial/warehouse and residential properties
- Public and private domestic, foreign and institutional investors
- Builder-developers of mixed-use residential complexes in major US cities
- Affordable housing developers
- Office, retail and industrial landlords
- Ground lessors/lessees of office buildings and shopping centers
- Borrowers of construction, mezzanine and permanent loans
- Represented the owner in redevelopment of the Rockville Mall site, with retail, office, hotel, parking and residential components. This included negotiation of a long-term redevelopment agreement with the city of Rockville, lobbying and securing of over $18 million in public funds from the State of Maryland, Montgomery County and the City of Rockville.
- Represented developers of mixed-use projects involving integration of the parcels and creation of covenants, easements and other restrictions on the use and occupancy of the property.
- Represented lenders in the acquisition and sale of hotel-office building complexes in California, New York and Maryland.
- Represented developers in zoning, acquisition, development, financing and leasing, including drafting and negotiating, development agreements, ground leases, sales of outparcels, leasing and big-box tenants and power centers.
- Represented a retail home improvement chain in acquiring, leasing and financing their shopping centers.
- Represented an owner in acquiring a leasehold interest and financing a shopping center with historic preservation issues.
- Represented an international company in acquiring and leasing of a $120,000,000 ‘trophy’ office building in Washington D.C.
- Represented a pension fund advisor in acquiring and leasing a $99,000,000 suburban office building.
- Represented a developer in acquiring, renovating, leasing, financing and ultimate disposition of a portfolio of suburban office buildings.
- Represented a REIT in acquiring two medical office complexes and a strip shopping center in California.
- Represented a pension fund in acquiring a metropolitan office building with underground transit.
- Represented a Canadian company in acquiring and financing 5 apartment projects totaling 1700 units in Oklahoma.
- Represented a private company in sale of 6 apartment projects.
- Represented an owner in connection with a conduit loan on a 313-unit Fairfax County, Virginia apartment building.
- Represented a non-profit organization in acquiring and financing 5 apartment complexes in the southeastern United States.
- We represent an off-shore company that acquires, renovates and manages ‘trophy’ hotels and office buildings.
- Acted as counsel to a closely-held corporation that has developed hotels and acquired hotels in Florida, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Utah and Virginia.
- Represented an international company in acquiring, financing and sale and like-kind exchange of a luxury Baltimore hotel.
- Represented national and local developers in acquiring, construction financing, permanent financing and subsequent outsales of Maryland and Virginia properties.
- Represent national and local builders in acquiring and developing buildable lots and the construction of new homes.
- Represented a real estate investment trust acquiring a single-family country club/residential use property.
- Represented owners in conversion of existing apartment buildings to condominium regimes.
- Represented a lender in financing a Washington D.C. hospital.
- Represented owners in acquisition, development and financing of church and synagogue properties.
- Represented owners of educational facilities in bond financing.
- Represented communications companies in acquisition of tower sites.
- Represented owners in negotiation, documentation of conduit loans secured by retail, residential, industrial and commercial real estate.