Intellectual Property Law Group Serving Maryland, Virginia, and Washington DC
Maintaining a competitive edge in today’s technology-driven marketplace requires an active intellectual property strategy. Entrepreneurs and companies can increase public recognition and distinguish their identities, products, and services from those of competitors while safeguarding these valuable proprietary rights and assets from unfair competition.
In the area of intellectual property law, we understand the vital importance of protecting and defending as well as commercializing and licensing proprietary rights that may include patents, copyrights, trademarks, trade dress, images, brands, services and domain names of our clients. We represent individual entrepreneurs and startup companies to well known and established corporations and trade associations in a variety of industries such as information technology, computers, e-commerce, consumer products, telecommunications, entertainment, publishing and manufacturing.
Attorneys in the Intellectual Property Practice Group Regularly Advise Our Clients on a Wide Range of Matters, Including:
- Technology transfer and technology related transactions
- Complex software and content agreements and licenses
- U.S. and international intellectual property portfolio management including the registration and protection of intellectual property assets worldwide
- Federal and state court infringement and unfair competition litigation; Inter partes proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board
- Domain name protection and related dispute arbitration
- Internet sweepstakes
- Trade secret counseling
- Valuation of emerging technologies
- Work-for-Hire, Confidentiality and Non-Compete agreements
- Entertainment and publishing agreements and contracts relating to endorsements, employment, production, distribution and merchandising tie-ins
- Successfully defended service mark infringement litigation brought by international entertainment consortium against our local Maryland client.
- Settled copyright infringement dispute over unauthorized use of our client’s publications by global investment banking and securities firm. The settlement included a payment of over $100,000 to our client as compensation.
- Negotiated a multi-million dollar manufacturing and distribution agreement for the worldwide distribution of our client’s consumer electronics products.
- Successfully recovered several domain names from cyber squatters through the Uniform Dispute Resolution Process (UDRP) on behalf of clients with registered trademarks.
- Negotiated the transfer of patented device technology from a government agency to a privately held start-up.