Nancy P. Regelin uses her skills as a strategic thinker, communicator, and manager to implement the vision of land owners, developers, and creative consultants to create great places for us to live, work and play. One of her true strengths lies in the trust and relationships she builds with elected officials, staff, community leaders, professional consultants, and other attorneys that she can draw upon to creatively solve problems.
In a recent assignment, Nancy was selected as outside local zoning counsel for Marriott International, to serve on their site selection and entitlement team for its new international headquarters site in Bethesda, Maryland.
Nancy enjoys a broad real estate practice which encompasses land use, development, document drafting, due diligence, title, construction, litigation, leasing, foreclosure, bankruptcy, lobbying and permitting. Her expansive background allows her to steward the legal issues of a project through its entire life cycle, dealing with any bumps along the way.
Her ability to navigate a complex situation and affect a positive outcome is built on a career of trouble-shooting. Nancy spent seven years as a design engineer, first in the engineering department of a national manufacturing company and then with an architectural engineering firm. Later armed with a law degree, she has devoted more than three decades to advancing ideas that often upset the status quo, finding common ground, counter-balancing opposition, seeking innovative solutions, standing strong if merited, and litigating when necessary.
Nancy regularly provides due diligence support for lenders, purchasers, and out of town asset managers in preserving and evaluating the status of zoning entitlements and permits, title, and the development potential of real estate assets. Since 1985, she has regularly appeared before governmental bodies, boards and agencies and successfully obtained approvals for commercial and residential developments, subdivisions, special exceptions, variances, text amendments, annexations and other zoning and development approvals.
Nancy previously managed the firm’s landlord-tenant practice which encompassed both commercial and residential properties in Maryland, DC and Virginia. She regularly dealt with issues involving lease defaults, CAM issues, tenant bankruptcy, Section 8 and other rental assistance programs, the Americans with Disabilities Act, fair housing and non-discrimination statutes, drug activity and nuisance laws, as well as the drafting and updating of leases. She regularly appeared in court on behalf of both commercial and residential landlords and commercial tenants and served as counsel for many national and local real estate owners and managers.
In 1999, Nancy founded The Power Conference, a regional women’s business development conference and trade show held annually in Montgomery County. She continues to serve as a Power Conference Chair and actively pursues her passion of helping women-owned businesses develop and flourish.
- Battery District: Creating the Most Livable Edge Neighborhood in Downtown Bethesda
- Site C Battery District: First Site Plan of the Battery District February 2023
- Global Headquarters: Novavax, Inc. Prepares for its Future
- Successful First Outsale of a Multi-Site, Mixed-Use Development in North Bethesda
- Catalyst Project for Redevelopment of Rockville Town Center
- Upper Rock District: Transformation of Suburban Office Park
- Shelter Development LLC Brightview of Fallsgrove Approved
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2023, 2024
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated Professional Excellence, 2023
- Top Land Use/Zoning Attorney, Bethesda Magazine, 2019-2023
- Vice-Chair, Board of Directors, Rockville Economic Development, Inc.
- Chair, Advisory Board, Maryland Women’s Business Center
- Citizen of the Year, Rockville Chamber of Commerce, 2008 and 2019
- Super Lawyers Award, Top 25 Women Lawyers Maryland 2007, Law & Politics, Baltimore Magazine
- Super Lawyers Award, Maryland and Washington, Zoning and Real Estate
- Athena Business Leadership Award, Montgomery County Women Business Owners, 2003
- President, Rockville Chamber of Commerce, 1998-99
- Board of Directors, Rockville Chamber of Commerce, 1996-2019
- President, CREW- Commercial Real Estate Women Maryland Suburban, 2000
- Founder & Chair, Power Conference – Business Women Conference and Tradeshow, 1999-2019
- ULI-DC, Technical Assistance Panels Committee, Co-Chair TAP Marketing 2019-2023
- Chair and Appointed Business Representative, Mont. Co. Dept of Permitting Services Citizen Advisory Committee, 2009-14
- Appointed Business Representative, Western Montgomery County Citizens Advisory Board, 2009-12
- Appointed Member, City of Rockville Zoning Ordinance Revision Committee, 2007-08
- Appointed Member, City of Rockville Art in Town Center Advisory Committee
- Appointed Member, Imagine Rockville Visioning Committee, 1998