Our highly experienced litigators have a well-earned reputation for providing clients with winning strategies and zealous representation. Whether the matter is complex in nature or a minor dispute, our team employs the expertise and energy necessary to achieve successful outcomes. We are ardent in the defense and prosecution of claims including breach of contract, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, negligence, tortious interference with contract, and violations of state and federal laws concerning trade secrets, unfair competition, intellectual property rights, labor and employment. Corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships and joint ventures across a wide range of industries rely on our unparalleled track record for delivering successful courtroom results and merits-based dispute resolution with creative deal restructurings.
When a matter requires experience and knowledge across legal disciplines, clients appreciate that our team is able to staff litigation matters with attorneys from different practice groups within the firm. This integrated approach provides efficiency and the best legal minds for a wide range of matters.
We are not generic litigators who follow a one-size-fits-all approach to dispute avoidance and resolution. Instead, we recognize that every client and every case is unique and requires a creative approach calibrated to the client’s particular goals and objectives. We are pragmatic problem-solvers, looking for ways to advance our client’s interests in an efficient and cost-effective manner. Using the strength of our carefully-crafted legal position as leverage, we engage in merits-based settlement discussions early and often, pursue mediation, and look relentlessly for creative approaches for narrowing or eliminating the dispute.
At Shulman Rogers, we pride ourselves not only on our skilled representation before judges and juries, but also on our tireless efforts to help clients avoid litigation altogether or to resolve contested matters at the earliest possible juncture. We draw from our experience structuring transactions outside of the litigation context and our deep understanding of our clients’ business and commercial objectives to resolve disputes efficiently.
Through our cutting edge approach to dispute avoidance and resolution, our clients are best able to manage their litigation risk and achieve their business objectives. In the process, they come to see us as valued counselors, not just another lawyer.
- Obtained new precedent “vendee’s lien” authority in Virginia needed to facilitate owner/seller acceding to our client’s settlement goals.
- Obtained summary judgment in house explosion and personal injury case in Maryland, making new law in regard to proximate causation defense; affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained summary judgment in $10,000,000 condominium construction defect case, making new precedent in defending tort negligence in purely economic loss context.
- Obtained partial summary judgment needed to advance merits-based settlement negotiations in $100,000,000 disputed class action fraud case.
- Obtained summary judgment in multi-count consumer defense case, expanding “indispensable party” definition in tenants-by-the-entirety context and regarding “accrual of cause of action” definition in setting bar dates for applicable statute of limitations.
- Obtained summary judgment for national and regional builders in several land dispute cases in Maryland invoking and enforcing rule against perpetuities.
- Represent 50% owner of limited liability company owning $50,000,000 Washington, D.C. office building in dispute concerning sale of property.
- Represented borrower against specialized lender, broker and related entities in multi-million-dollar, multi-jurisdictional dispute. Won favorable settlement.
- Represented minority partner in litigation and pre-litigation disputes concerning various real estate partnerships owning shopping mall, residential apartment complexes and raw land in the Washington metropolitan area. Won multi-million dollar summary judgment order and defeated multiple dismissal motions.
- Serve as outside litigation and dispute resolution counsel for leading U.S. homebuilder, handling all disputes arising out of development and acquisition real estate transactions in the Washington metropolitan area.
- Represent minority partner in litigation arising from partnership’s acquisition of $106,000,000 office building and contiguous property located in Washington metropolitan area. Won seven figure jury award.
- Represent national and regional homebuilders in successful defense and merits-based resolution of condominium common element defect claim cases, both using in-kind remediation accords and/or 3-way resolutions including more culpable third party contractors, suppliers and designers — their insurance carriers funding of same inclusive.
- Represented leading hotel franchisor in federal circuit court appeals, international arbitration, and preliminary injunction proceeding in connection with breach of franchise agreements.
- Conduct internal investigations for leading real estate and hotel companies concerning alleged misconduct by employees.
- Represent leading U.S. homebuilder in litigation concerning $120,000,000 real estate acquisition in the Washington metropolitan area.
- Represented major financial institution in dispute concerning handling of insurance loss funds. Won favorable settlement.
- Represent leading trade association in dispute against large financial institution over nearly $90 million loan to acquire corporate headquarters building.