Construction Law Attorneys Serving Maryland, Virginia and Washington DC
In high growth areas like Metropolitan Washington, construction plays a dynamic and active role in our region. Shulman Rogers’ attorneys understand the deadline driven, high stakes projects that are often at play, and through our successful representation of construction companies, we have garnered a reputation as a go-to legal resource for builders and developers in Maryland, Virginia and Washington D.C.
As a full-service firm, we offer a complete suite of legal services that touch the construction industry. From land use and zoning, to construction contracts and litigation, we are prepared to assist your project from start to finish. Our attorneys are skilled in complex construction projects that involve multiple parties, collaboratively working to ensure complete communication among all those involved.
While our vast experience in the construction industry allows us a proactive advantage to advise our clients on avoiding disputes, conflicts do unfortunately arise. If your project encounters a dispute, you can rely on our strategic and tactical litigation skills. Clients praise us for understanding exactly the approach needed in a contentious situation to secure, preserve or recover their assets.
Our attorneys routinely litigate in the Washington DC courts and throughout the state courts in Maryland and Virginia. We have successfully represented clients in 23 of Maryland’s 24 counties, including Montgomery, Howard, Anne Arundel, Carroll, Frederick, Prince George’s, Baltimore City and Baltimore County. We have deep experience and a track record of success on behalf of our clients in Virginia, including Arlington, Clarke, Culpeper, Fairfax, Fauquier, Frederick, King George, Loudoun, Prince William, Spotsylvania, Stafford, and Warren Counties, and in the courts of the independent Virginia cities of Alexandria, Falls Church, Fairfax, Fredericksburg, Manassas and Manassas Park. We are routinely recognized for our excellence, including recognition from Super Lawyers and Martindale-Hubbell.
- Won a four-day bench trial on behalf of a national real estate developer in Arlington, VA who was sued for Slander of Title. Secured a directed verdict at close of plaintiff’s case. Won our client’s counterclaim and secured a high six-figure judgment for damages and attorneys’ fees.
- Persuaded a Fairfax, VA Court to adopt Maryland “Vendee Lien” law to recover millions in developer bonds posted as a contract deposit.
- Won a favorable trial ruling in Montgomery County Circuit Court for our commercial real estate developer client rejecting plaintiff’s $20 million claim to valuable FAR in the central business district of Bethesda, Maryland. The Court granted our dispositive defense motion at the close of the adverse plaintiff’s case – as a matter of fact and law – defeating the claim in its entirety and allowing our project to proceed using the disputed FAR.
- Obtained summary judgment in $10,000,000 condominium construction defect case, making new precedent in defending tort negligence in purely economic loss context.
- Obtained summary judgment for national and regional builders in several land dispute cases in Maryland invoking and enforcing rule against perpetuities.
- Served as outside litigation and dispute resolution counsel for leading U.S. homebuilder, handling all disputes arising out of development and acquisition real estate transactions in the Washington metropolitan area.