Bankruptcy, Restructuring and Creditors’ Rights Attorneys with offices in Maryland, Washington DC, Virginia and Representing Clients Nationwide
The Bankruptcy, Restructuring and Creditors’ Rights Practice Group attorneys represent all parties involved in business reorganization cases as well as complex issues involving litigation. Our clients include debtors, creditors’ committees, bankruptcy trustees, secured lenders, landlords and asset purchasers in bankruptcy and federal courts in the DC metropolitan area as well as Texas, California, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, New Mexico, Illinois, Indiana, New York and Delaware. Additionally, Michael Lichtenstein has been appointed as a mediator by the Bankruptcy Court on several occasions.
The Group is supported by and able to draw upon the skills of other attorneys of the Firm in the areas of corporate and securities law, tax, real estate, telecommunications, intellectual property and employment law, as well as attorneys from the Firm’s well-recognized Commercial Litigation Department with respect to complex bankruptcy litigation matters. The Group regularly represents both borrowers and lenders alike in all sorts of debt restructures and workouts.
We have an established reputation as the “go-to” lawyers for judges, bankruptcy trustees, receivers and other bankruptcy attorneys. Our attorneys are often requested to act as general counsel or special counsel to trustees, and we receive appointments as trustees, examiners and mediators by local Bankruptcy Courts in Maryland and the District of Columbia. Additionally, we serve as debtors’ counsel in complex Chapter 11 proceedings, including retail and manufacturing chains. As part of the Firm’s foreclosure practice, members of the Group assist clients with the eviction of commercial enterprises and individuals from real property subject to foreclosure proceedings.
Our Clients Represent a Wide Range of Industries, Including:
• Parking Garages
• Defense contractors
• High tech
• Financial services
• Health care
• Real estate
- Confirmed plan of reorganization while representing Parking Management, Inc. in subchapter V of Chapter 11 proceeding seeking to restructure 88 parking garages.
- Confirmed plan of reorganization in heavily contested Chapter 11 proceeding involving a start-up company developing solid oxide fuel cell technology
- Settled state court breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty limited liability litigation that resulted in multi-million-dollar payment to clients.
- Obtained order converting Chapter 11 to Chapter 7 proceeding in case involving solar energy and cryptocurrency.
- Won an appeal in the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit affirming the lower court’s decision that lending institution client had a first lien priority on the borrower’s assets on account of a $3.2 million loan and allowing the bank to collect $1.2 million being held in the court registry.
- Successfully settled a $6 million suit filed for plaintiff in Montgomery County Circuit Court in Maryland through the use of mediation that resulted in monthly payments to client.
- Appointed by a Maryland Bankruptcy judge as a mediator in a large Chapter 11 real estate proceeding with a trustee who sued several defendants over significant multi-million dollar disputes about lien priorities and entitlement to sales proceeds.
- Appointed by a Maryland Bankruptcy judge as a mediator in a large Chapter 11 proceeding to resolve a dispute arising out of insurance coverage related to lead paint claims
- Successfully defeated motion to dismiss lawsuit in federal court in Greenbelt, Maryland in suit against insurance company for coverage related to fraudulently issued $1 million letter of credit and settled with insurance company for significant payment to client.
- In re: Ashdun Corporation (special counsel for the Chapter 11 Trustee)
- In re: Baltimore Emergency Serv., II, LLC (co-counsel for purchaser of assets)
- In re: Bond Transfer, Inc. (counsel to unsecured creditors’ committee)
- In re: Bread and Chocolate, Inc. (counsel for Chapter 11 debtor)
- In re: Criimi Mae Management, Inc. (counsel for Chapter 11 debtor)
- In re: Cryptek (counsel for Chapter 11 debtor)
- In re: Dormia, Inc. (counsel for Chapter 11 debtors)
- In re: Elway, Inc. (counsel for purchaser of assets)
- In re: Final Analysis, Inc. (counsel for Chapter 7 Trustee)
- In re: George Transfer, Inc. (Chapter 11 Plan Trustee)
- In re: Hilton Cable, Inc. (counsel for secured lender)
- In re: Joanne’s Bed & Back Stores, Inc. (counsel for Chapter 11 debtors)
- In re: Mastercraft Interiors Ltd. (counsel for Chapter 11 debtor)
- In re: Multiconsultant Associates, Inc. (counsel to Receiver)
- In re: National Rifle Association (Counsel for secured creditor)
- In re: Pixelligent (counsel for Chapter 11 debtor)
- In re: PMI, Inc. (Counsel for Chapter 11 debtor)
- In re: Pocket Communications (Chapter 11 disbursing agent)
- In re: Redox Power Systems, LLC (counsel for Chapter 11 debtor)
- In re: Regency Health Care Services, Inc. (counsel for Chapter 11 debtor)
- In re: Royal Furniture, Inc. (Chapter 11 Trustee)
- In re Sears (counsel for defendant in several preference actions)
- In re: Sir Walter Raleigh Inns, Inc. (counsel for Chapter 11 debtor)
- In re: Startec Global Communications Corp. (special counsel to Chapter 11 debtors)
- In re: Timothy Dean Restaurant & Bar (counsel to landlord)
- In re: United American, Inc. (counsel for unsecured creditors’ committee)
- In re: USInternetworking, Inc. (counsel for unsecured creditors’ committee)
- In re: Valley Historic Limited Partnership (counsel for secured creditor)