Disciplinary accusations can have severe consequences for a student’s academic career, permanent record and future job prospects. Schools try to resolve matters very quickly, offer students minimal opportunity to defend themselves and have little or no tolerance for any alleged misconduct. Students faced with charges from their secondary school or university should engage counsel early to evaluate the best path forward and prepare their defense.
The Shulman Rogers team regularly represents students in a wide range of disciplinary allegations including:
- Academic Misconduct
- Drug and Alcohol Violations
- Sexual Harassment and Sexual Assault
Our attorneys speak frequently at universities about student rights in disciplinary matters. We have the deep strategic experience and aggressive advocacy skills that students need in both school disciplinary matters and related criminal allegations.
Schedule a consultation with our team by calling or contacting our office today.
- Convinced prosecutors to drop unfounded criminal trespass charges and seal arrest records
- Resolved a fake ID charge via court diversion, with no criminal conviction
- Persuaded government to drop felony assault charges, and student resumed education after a one-semester suspension
- Resolved Title IX sex assault and harassment allegations through college probation, and student continued education
- Avoided prosecution for student accused of armed robbery
- Negotiated terms of honor code dismissal to enhance graduate student’s transfer opportunities
- Resolved multiple offenses through college probation/deferred suspension, allowing student to continue education
- Avoided felony assault charges and negotiated terms of withdrawal from secondary school instead of expulsion
Back to School Notice
As the new school year begins, we wanted to be in touch with some information that may be helpful to you or someone you know. It goes without saying that no parent enjoys having a child face a difficult situation, but being well prepared to handle those situations properly, should they arise, can be very impactful. Often, early intervention by skilled legal counsel is the best way to negotiate a favorable resolution or prepare a strong defense.
Shulman Rogers can help when a child is accused of a crime or a school-related offense – high school or higher education, public or private, disciplinary or academic. Some representative matters we recently resolved for students include:
- Unfounded criminal trespass charges dropped and arrest records sealed;
- Possession of alcohol by a minor charges resolved via court diversion;
- Fake ID charges resolved via court diversion, with no criminal conviction;
- Felony assault charges dropped, student resumed education after a one-semester suspension;
- Title IX allegations resolved by college probation, student continued education;
- Negotiated terms of honor code dismissal to enhance graduate student’s transfer opportunities; and
- Multiple offenses resolved via college probation/deferred suspension, allowing student to continue education.
Our goal and our role is to limit the consequences, regardless of the circumstances. Please let us know if you wish to confidentially discuss any legal matter, and feel free to share this information with friends and family who you think may find it helpful.
The contents of this Post are for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. If you have any questions, please contact the Shulman Rogers attorney with whom you regularly work or a member of the Shulman Rogers Criminal Defense Group