Clients hire Steve Walter when they need a commercial loan lawyer who is responsive, efficient, and practical; and when they need a lawyer who has substantial experience with loan documentation and closings.
Clients appreciate his business-minded approach. He commits to his clients’ goals and helps clients achieve them without losing sight of the big picture. Steve is known to be very sophisticated when it comes to challenging transactions. Many clients appreciate his knack for simplifying complex technical legal terms, which helps them to better understand their risks and how to best mitigate them.
As a shareholder in the Firm’s Business and Financial Services Department, Steve regularly represents national, regional, and local financial institutions and borrowers in all types of secured and unsecured, syndicated and single-lender credit facilities. He handles all aspects of loan transactions, including drafting and negotiating credit agreements, collateral security packages and related loan documents.
Given his expansive experience, Steve is frequently called upon to represent clients looking to finance and leverage government contract receivables.
While with his prior firm, Dickstein Shapiro LLP, aside from working on loan transactions, Steve also regularly worked on general corporate matters, including corporate governance issues and mergers and acquisitions. Steve focused his corporate work in the energy sector, with an emphasis on solar facility acquisitions, solar facility leases, and project financing. He also has significant experience handling commercial real estate transactions, construction loans, and hotel financing.
Banking and Related Financial Transactions
- Represented a publicly-traded business development company, as borrower, in the restructuring of $1.1 billion of private notes and bank debt.
- Represented a publicly-traded business development company, as borrower, in the refinancing of its existing private notes and bank debt with a $250 million senior secured term loan.
- Represented a private government contractor, as borrower, in connection with a $155 million syndicated credit facility.
- Represented a regional bank, as agent and lender, in connection with a $275 million revolving line of credit and swing line facility made available to a publicly-traded government contractor.
- Represented an alcohol and beverage wholesale distributor, as borrower, in connection with a $120 million syndicated credit facility.
- Represented a regional bank, as lender, in connection with a $48 million loan to refinance existing debt of, and provide working capital to, DC-area hospitals.
- Represented a regional bank, as lender, in connection with a $25 million real estate secured loan for the acquisition and expansion of a ski resort.
- Represented an agent bank, as lender, in connection with a syndicated $38 million credit facility to a local health club with an emphasis on leasehold security interests.
- Represented a bank, as lender, in a $33 million syndicated credit facility to finance an ESOP acquisition.
- Represented a bank, as lender, in an $86 million loan secured by a commercial office building.
- Represented a lender in connection with a $20 million credit facility to a non-profit broadcaster for general working capital purposes.
- Represented a local bank in connection with a $50 million revolving credit facility for financing acquisitions and construction of charter schools.
- Represented a publicly-traded energy company, as buyer, in an acquisition and $100 million financing of a solar project.
- Represented a major energy conglomerate in “Latin American Water Deal of the Year.”
- Represented an owner of multiple gas-fired generating facilities, as borrower, in connection with a $120 million credit facility.
- Represented an owner of multiple gas-fired generating facilities, as seller, in connection with a $95 million sale of a 49% interest in its parent company.
- Represented a client, as seller, in connection with an $85 million sale of 100% of entity that owned a high voltage transmission path.
- Represented a client, as seller, in a $59 million sale of wholesale power and swap contracts.
- Represented a client, as seller, in connection with a $38 million sale of partnership interests of an entity operating chilled water cooling systems.
Real Estate Acquisitions
- Represented a client, as buyer, in a $115 million acquisition of a ground lessee interest in a Southeast Washington D.C. office building.
- Represented a client, as buyer, in a $120 million acquisition and condominium conversion of a Maryland apartment building.
Mergers and Acquisitions: Non-Energy
- Represented a scrap metal processor in connection with a $300 million complex joint venture transaction.
- Represented a box storage company in connection with a complex contribution, redemption and purchase transaction and related senior and subordinated loan transactions.
- Represented a private equity fund, as seller, in a $100 million sale of a portfolio company.
- The Financing Advisor - Closing Checklist for Loan Transactions, A Road to Efficiency (January 2014)
- The Financing Advisor - Receivables (September 2013)
- The Financing Advisor - Assignment of Claims Act Documentation (January 2013)