As a nationally recognized bankruptcy practitioner, Mort Faller has effectively assisted scores of clients through the maze of the bankruptcy and reorganization process. He has represented Debtors in numerous successful reorganizations, including real estate developers, multi-store retailers, restaurants and individuals. He has also assisted lenders, landlords and committees in complex reorganization cases. Mort has extensive experience before the Bankruptcy Courts for the District of Maryland and the District of Columbia.
Mort's 44 years of experience as a commercial and real estate litigator, and his ability to effectively help clients find alternatives to litigation to resolve their disputes, has led to his prominence as a mediator of complex commercial and bankruptcy matters. His vast insight as a litigator has trained him to see both sides of an issue and serve as a "neutral", assessing facts, risks and exposures, and affecting a resolution outside of court. His success rate for both voluntary and court-appointed mediation cases, assisting parties resolve a dispute, is excellent. As Mort tells his clients: every dispute will be resolved...mediation allows you to be a part of the resolution. He is an approved mediator on the panels of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland and in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware, as well as in numerous trial courts in Maryland. In 2006, he became a member of The McCammon Group, comprised of retired judges and prominent attorneys who handle a broad range of mediation cases.
His considerable legal acumen and recognition in the field of mediation has led to numerous leadership roles throughout Mort's career. He has previously served as chair of both the Bankruptcy and Title Dispute Resolution Groups at Shulman Rogers, and was a long-standing member of the firm's Board of Directors. Mort was a founding director of the Bankruptcy Bar Association of the District of Maryland and is a past President of that Association. He is a frequent lecturer to attorneys in continuing legal education courses in the areas of bankruptcy and real estate title issues.
Since 2007, Mort has annually been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, District of Columbia Superlawyers,and Maryland Superlawyers. He was selected as a Top Bankruptcy Lawyer in Washingtonian Magazine repeatedly from 2007 to 2015. Prior to joining Shulman Rogers in 1998, Mort was managing partner of the Washington, D.C. firm of Meyer, Faller, Weisman and Rosenberg, P.C., with whom he was associated from 1973 through 1998.
- Shulman Rogers Attorneys Honored by Inclusion on 2016 Maryland and Washington DC Super Lawyers Listings
- Shulman Rogers Attorneys Honored by Inclusion on 2015 Washingtonian Top Lawyers Listing
- Shulman Rogers Attorneys Honored by Inclusion on 2016 Best Lawyers Listing
- Morton Faller appointed to Montgomery County Commission on Aging as Senior Representative
- Shulman Rogers Attorneys Honored by Inclusion on 2015 Best Lawyers Listing
- Shulman Rogers Attorneys Honored by Inclusion on 2015 Maryland Super Lawyers Listing
- Shulman Rogers Attorneys Honored by Inclusion on 2014 Maryland Super Lawyers Listing
- New Ch. 11 Fee Standards May Be Big Burden For Little Return
- Twenty-three Shulman Rogers Attorneys Recognized in The American Lawyer's "Top Rated Lawyers" Series
- 5th Circ. Upholds Precedent On Bankruptcy Fee Awards
- Creative tactics help restructure Sir Walter Raleigh restaurant chain
- Mort Faller and Steve Metz Obtain Confirmation of Secured Creditor's Plan in Contested Confirmation Hearing Regarding Competing Chapter 11 Plans
- Dispute Resolution of Bankruptcy Cases, Maryland Law Journal, Sept/Oct, 2005
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Bankruptcy Bar Association of the District of Maryland, Founding Director, Past President
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- Maryland State Bar Association, Member
- Bar Association of Montgomery County, MD, Member
- The McCammon Group, Member
- U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, Volunteer
- Wills for Heroes, Volunteer