Todd is well-known for his client focus, detailed knowledge of the people and processes affecting land use and delivery of successful results in a timely, predictable manner. In addition to the successful outcomes Todd has gained for real estate developers and builders, he has secured land use authorization for major private school and other not-for-profit expansions and for individual and business clients seeking to preserve and enhance the value of real estate assets.
Todd regularly guides individuals, local, regional and national clients and their technical consultants through complex legislative, master plan, zoning, subdivision, site plan, forest conservation, historic preservation and permitting processes to successful outcomes. He also helps clients before Boards of Appeals and has a noteworthy record of success in gaining special exception (conditional use permit) approvals.
With more than 27 years’ experience, Todd graduated from the University of Maryland School of Law with honor, has received Martindale Hubbell's AV Preeminent rating (highest level of professional excellence) and is recognized as a Top Rated Lawyer in Land Use and Zoning. He has also been honored with multiple selections on the Maryland SuperLawyers listings, which recognize the top five percent of attorneys in the area. He has held leadership positions in local Chambers of Commerce, Urban Advisory Boards and industry groups.
- Downtown Bethesda Sector Plan – Represented multiple clients and properties in Master Plan, zoning text amendment and comprehensive rezoning resulting in substantial increase in allowable densities and building heights.
- YMCA of Metropolitan Washington, Bethesda-Chevy Chase – Conditional use approval for comprehensive site and building renovations for this long-standing community and social-service organization.
- Edgemoor, A Condominium – Piecemeal rezoning, development plan, subdivision and site plan approvals for a 10 story, luxury apartment building in Bethesda, Maryland.
- The Norwood School – Special exception and subdivision amendments for a 600 student, pre k-8th grade private educational institution in Potomac, Maryland including a 350-seat performing arts center, natatorium and community accessible educational and recreational programming.
- Silver Spring Park – Project plan, preliminary plan, site plan and zoning text amendment approvals for a 147,888 square foot mixed-use project in Downtown Silver Spring, Maryland containing a 110-room hotel, 58 multi-family dwelling units, 9,234 square feet of retail and 28,170 square feet of office uses.
- The National Labor College – Special exception and subdivision approvals for the 65,000 square foot Lane Kirkland Center conference facility, an 85-bed dormitory and a new dining facility in Silver Spring, Maryland.
- Fairfield at Germantown – Project plan and preliminary plan approvals for a mixed-use project containing 604 apartment units, 210,000 square feet of retail and 40,000 square feet of office uses in Germantown, Maryland. Site plan approvals for the residential components.
- City Townes at Edgemoor – Zoning text amendment, piecemeal rezoning, development plan, subdivision and site plan approvals for a 29-unit luxury townhouse infill project in Bethesda, Maryland.
- Edgemoor Gardens – Piecemeal rezoning, development plan and site plan approvals for a 12-unit garden apartment building in Bethesda, Maryland.
- Bethesda Mews – Preliminary plan and site plan approvals, forest conservation variance and road code waivers for a 34-unit single family subdivision in Bethesda, Maryland.
- High Acres – Preliminary plan and site plan approvals for a 12-unit luxury townhouse project in Bethesda, Maryland.
- Downtown Columbia – Drafting and approval of the Downtown Columbia Master Plan, Downtown Redevelopment Zoning Regulations, Adequate Public Facilities Act, and other legislation for the mixed-use redevelopment of the Town Center of Columbia, Maryland. Master Plan and Zoning Authority has been obtained for an additional 14 million square feet of development, including 4.3 million square feet of office, 1.25 million square feet of retail, 6,244 residential units and 640 hotel rooms.
- Downtown Columbia – Drafting and approval of the Development Rights and Responsibilities Agreement (DRRA) that governs the redevelopment of Downtown Columbia.
- Downtown Columbia – Area 3 – Crescent Neighborhood – Site Development Plan approval for a 338,930 square foot office tower, 80,327 square feet of retail and restaurant uses, 382 multifamily residential units and a 1,349-space parking garage.
- Downtown Columbia – Area 7 – Crescent Neighborhood – Final Development Plan approval for the New Cultural Center containing 112,346 square feet of cultural uses, including a new 360-seat dinner theatre and two black box theaters (450 seats), and 202 residential units.
- Downtown Columbia – Areas 1-4 – Crescent Neighborhood – Approval of the Crescent Neighborhood Final Development Plan, Design Guidelines and Neighborhood Documents for 4.8 million square feet of development including 2,300 residential units, 1.4 million square feet of office uses, 313,500 square feet of retail uses, a 250-room hotel, and 225,000 square feet of cultural uses.
- Downtown Columbia – Area 1 – Crescent Neighborhood – Site Development Plan approvals for MedStar Health's new corporate headquarters containing 207,907 square feet of office, 8,254 square feet of restaurant and 4,081 square feet of retail uses and an adjacent 9-level parking garage and a second office building containing 114,124 square feet of office, 4,081 square feet of retail and 11,425 square feet of restaurant uses.
- Downtown Columbia – Warfield Neighborhood – Approval of the Warfield Neighborhood Documents and Design Guidelines for 2.8 million square feet of development, including 1,817 residential units, 359,878 square feet of retail and 117,400 square feet of office uses.
- Downtown Columbia – Warfield Neighborhood – Final Development Plan approval for 817 residential units and 76,098 square feet of retail uses.
- Downtown Columbia – Warfield Neighborhood (Parcels D, C-1 and C-2) – The Metropolitan Downtown Columbia, Ten.M and m.flats – Site Development Plan approvals for 817 multifamily residential units, 41,025 square feet of ground-floor retail, and structured parking within three mixed-use buildings.
- Downtown Columbia – Merriweather/Symphony Woods Neighborhood – Final Development Plan and Site Development Plan approvals for the renovation of Merriweather Post Pavilion.
- Wincopia Farms – Preliminary Equivalent Sketch Plan approval for a 220-unit residential development in Howard County, Maryland.
- Emerson/Key Property – Piecemeal rezoning and development plan approvals for a 518-acre mixed-use development in Howard County, Maryland.