Transactions (Acquisitions and Dispositions)
Business Transactions Law Group for Maryland, Virginia and Washington DC
Shulman Rogers has a well-established reputation as a leading real estate law firm in the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan area, one of the nation's most active and established real estate markets. Real estate transactions come in a variety of sizes, shapes, methods and objectives, including acquisitions, dispositions, 1031 exchanges, financings and recapitalizations. Through our vast experience and expertise, we are able to identify our clients’ objectives and successfully negotiate, document and close all types of real estate transactions, obtaining the positive results our clients expect.
Through related practice groups, we advise our clients through all phases of a real estate transaction. Our involvement in a transaction commences with the negotiation of the purchase contract, the review of due diligence issues, and the planning and structuring of the transaction to obtain maximum transfer and recordation tax savings and income tax benefits. Our representation continues through the financing and closing process, including the review and negotiation of the commitment letter and loan documents, the preparation of all required opinion letters, and concludes with the closing of the transaction as an authorized agent for many of the nationally recognized title insurance companies.
After closing, Shulman Rogers continues to advise clients with respect to property management issues, leasing and landlord tenant matters, as well as with respect to the future financing for a property, including re-financings, defeasances, negotiation of subordinate mezzanine or second trust financings and the ultimate disposition of the property.
Services include transactions in all varieties of asset classes, including:
- office buildings
- retail centers
- multi-family residential complexes
- residential projects
- mixed use projects
- hotels and recreational complexes
- affordable housing
- planned unit development
Representative transactions include:
- Represented an international company in acquiring and leasing of a $120 milliion "trophy" office building in Washington, D.C.
- Represented a pension fund advisor in acquiring and leasing a $99 million suburban office building.
- Represented a developer in acquiring, renovating, leasing, financing and ultimate disposition of a portfolio of suburban office buildings.
- Represented a REIT in acquiring two medical office complexes and a strip shopping center in California.
- Represented a pension fund in acquiring a metropolitan office building with underground transit.
- Represented developers in zoning, acquisition, development, financing and leasing, including drafting and negotiating, development agreements, ground leases, sales of outparcels, leasing and big-box tenants and power centers.
- Represented a retail home improvement chain in acquiring, leasing and financing their shopping centers.
- Represented an owner in acquiring a leasehold interest and financing a shopping center with historic preservation issues.
- Represented national and local developers in acquiring, construction financing, permanent financing and subsequent outsales of Maryland and Virginia properties.
- Represented national and local builders in acquiring and developing buildable lots and the construction of new homes.
- Represented a real estate investment trust acquiring a single-family country club/residential use property.
- Represented owners in conversion of existing apartment buildings to condominium regimes.
- Represented the owner in redevelopment of the Rockville Mall site, with retail, office, hotel, parking and residential components. This included negotiation of a long-term redevelopment agreement with the city of Rockville, lobbying and securing of over $18 million in public funds from the State of Maryland, Montgomery County and the City of Rockville.
- Represented developers of mixed use projects involving integration of the parcels and creation of covenants, easements and other restrictions on the use and occupancy of the propery.
- Represented lenders in the acquisition and sale of hotel-office complexes in California, New York and Maryland.
Hotels and residential complexes
- We represent and off-shore company that acquires, renovates and manages "trophy" hotels and office buildings.
- Acted as counsel to a closely held corporation that has developed hotels and acquired hotels in Florida, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Utah and Virginia.
- Represented an international company in acquiring, financing and sale and like-kind exchange of a luxury Baltimore hotel.
- Represented a lender in financing a Washington, D.C. hospital.
- Represented owners in acquisition, development and financing of church and synagogue properties.
- Represented owners of educational facilities in bond financing.
- Represented communications companies in acquisition of tower sites.
- Represented owners in negotiation, documentation of conduit loans secured by retail, residential, industrial and commercial real estate.
- Experience. Shulman Rogers has represented clients in all varieties of asset classes, including:
- Retail Centers
- Mixed Use
- Affordable Housing
- Planned Unit Developments