Technology, Media and Telecommunications
Shulman Rogers' Technology, Media and Telecommunications practice represents clients involved in all areas of communications, including private radio, common carrier, broadband and broadcast.
LAND MOBILE RADIO
The Firm has served as counsel to PCIA (a major trade association), and represents manufacturers, users and licensees of two‑way radio dispatch and paging systems, and Specialized Mobile Radio (“SMR”) systems. The Firm also represents hundreds of public safety licensees (State, Counties and Cities) in securing spectrum for their operations and negotiations involving the 800 MHz Rebanding Program.
Shulman Rogers is presently engaged in a major effort to assist land mobile licensees with VHF and UHF radio systems to comply with the FCC’s “narrowband” mandate. The Firm assists in the review of Requests For Proposals (“RFPs”) for engineering services and new equipment, the filing of FCC applications, and providing advice on compliance issues. The Firm is also engaged in a nationwide effort to educate users about the 2013 deadline.
The Firm’s dedicated staff files hundreds of FCC applications every year for clients utilizing a variety of radio bands for a variety of radio services.
POSITIVE TRAIN CONTROL
The Firm represents railroads in their efforts to implement Positive Train Control (PTC). PTC is a federal law for passenger and freight railroads to implement a system to prevent rail accidents, and will require wireless spectrum. Department Chairman Alan Tilles also serves on the Joint Council on Transit Wireless, and is Chairman of the Joint Council’s Narrowbanding and Rebanding Sections.
The Firm negotiates microwave relocation agreements on behalf of a variety of incumbent licensees.
TOWER LEASES AND RELATED ISSUES
The Firm’s Tower Group handles a variety of issues for telecommunications tower owners, lessees and landowners. With the Tower Group’s combined experience in Telecommunications, Real Estate and Finance, they have the skills to handle any tower-related transaction, including leases, brokerage, regulation, zoning, and insurance.
Shulman Rogers assists broadband wireless operators with a variety of spectrum utilization issues, from auction participation and license acquisitions to build-out requirements and spectrum leases. Our telecommunications professionals are available to help navigate the multitude of government programs available to fund the expansion of broadband wireless in rural areas.
IN-BUILDING RADIO COVERAGE
The Firm assists a variety of entities in dealing with the proliferation of local ordinances requiring access to public safety communications within newly constructed buildings. The Firm works with Bi-Directional Amplifier manufacturers and users to ensure that units are effective and do not cause interference.
COMMON CARRIER ISSUES
Common Carriers must be involved with a variety of FCC requirements and filings. The Firm assists Common Carrier clients with Universal Service, North American Numbering Plan, CALEA and CPNI filings.
TELECOMMUNICATIONS LITIGATION AND BANKRUPTCY
The Firm handles complex litigation and bankruptcies involving telecommunications companies.
DISTRIBUTED ANTENNA SYSTEMS (DAS)
Shulman Rogers is uniquely qualified to assist clients with regard to their implementation of Distributed Antenna Systems(DAS). The Firm’s expertise stems from a pool of attorneys with experience on all matters relevant to DAS implementation, including radio propagation, leasing and Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) compliance.
- December 20, 2016: FCC Removes CPNI Filing Requirements
- December 19, 2016: Rethinking Part 90 Spectrum Assignment Policies
- December 16, 2016: Department Of Justice Body-Worn Camera Policy and Implementation Program Grants
- September 7, 2016: FCC Allows Railroad Police To Use Public Safety Interop Frequencies
- August 16, 2016: Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals Reverses FCC’s Preemptive Action on State Laws in Tennessee and North Carolina
- August 12, 2016: FCC Waiver Request by Mortgage Bankers Regarding Prior Consent for Mortgage Servicing Calls
- June 9, 2016: Companies Seek Waiver of Opt-Out Notices for Fax Advertisements
- June 2, 2016: FCC Proposes Changes to its Public Inspection File Requirements
- February 10, 2016: Consumer Signal Booster Info And Reminder For Carriers To File FCC Form 499A
- February 9, 2016: FCC Begins Accepting Vehicular Repeater Applications March 15, 2016
- January 19, 2016: FCC Fines Private Land Mobile Licensee $135,000
- Telecommunications Department Update
- Michael L. Higgs, Jr. in AGL Magazine - FCC Issues More Tower Violation Fines
- Primer on FCC’s RF Exposure Rules and Regulations
- Alert! FCC Issues Advisory Regarding Customer Propriety Network Information (CPNI) Filings
- Alan Tilles discusses land-mobile-radio (LMR) systems at IWCE's Critical LTE Communications Forum in Chicago
- Shulman Rogers Obtains Extension Waiver For L.A. County Public Safety Radio System
- Shulman Rogers Helps Create New Non-Profit Representing Public Service Entities
- Georgina Feigen quoted in Law360: Net Neutrality Win Is Vindication For Wheeler’s FCC
- Shulman Rogers Assists New York MTA In Obtaining Positive Train Control Spectrum
- City of Denver gains waiver of Inter-Category Sharing Freeze in the 800 MHz Frequency Band, represented by Alan Tilles
- Alaska Railroad Gains 220 MHz Licenses for PTC System, Represented by Alan Tilles
- FCC fines Smart City $750,000 for blocking Wi-Fi
- Shulman Rogers Guides Major FCC Rulemaking Effort, Improves First Responders’ Telecom System
- Shulman Rogers Selected by MBTA for Positive Train Control Implementation
- Shulman Rogers wins significant land mobile radio case
- Chairman of the Shulman Rogers Telecommunications Department Comments on what 470-512 MHz Land Mobile Radio licensees should be doing.
- Shulman Rogers helps New Jersey city get FCC approval of 800 MHz settlement
- FCC updates CPNI rules to protect carrier information on devices
- FCC clarifies rules for TETRA use
- A Lawyer’s Take on the Court’s Shot Clock Decision
- L.A. County Negotiates 800 MHz Rebanding and System Upgrade
- Regarding 911 abuses, let’s swat the swatters
- International Wireless Communications Expo
- Smart Rail Congress and Expo
- APCO 2014
- PTC World Congress
- Pennsylvania APCO