Shulman Rogers understands that the multi-layer nature of today’s real estate debt and ownership structures requires a comprehensive, interdisciplinary approach. We take this approach with each client’s unique and complex problem, including underperforming, distressed or failed transactions.
Shulman Rogers’ Distressed Asset Group advises lenders and borrowers regarding loss mitigation and recovery maximization strategies in distressed loan workouts and restructures involving mezzanine, construction, securitized, participated and portfolio loans involving a wide range of asset classes, including hotels, industrial, condominiums, multi-family, office, retail and undeveloped land.
- Negotiation of modifications and forbearance agreements
- Note purchase transactions
- Loss mitigation strategy development
- Foreclosure proceedings
- Analysis and mitigation of personal exposure
- Bankruptcy analysis and filing
- Income tax planning for debt forgiveness
- Recovery maximization strategy
- Independent review of defaulted loan packages
- Zoning and land use analysis
- Litigation strategy
- Creation and governance of opportunity funds
- Analysis of liabilities in “broken” condo projects
- Real estate tax appeals