Shulman Rogers' Telecommunications practice represents clients involved in all areas of communications, including private radio, common carrier, broadband and broadcast.
LAND MOBILE RADIO
The Firm has served as counsel to PCIA (a major trade association), and represents manufacturers, users and licensees of two‑way radio dispatch and paging systems, and Specialized Mobile Radio (“SMR”) systems. The Firm also represents hundreds of public safety licensees (State, Counties and Cities) in securing spectrum for their operations and negotiations involving the 800 MHz Rebanding Program (http://www.800mhzrebanding.com/).
Shulman Rogers is presently engaged in a major effort to assist land mobile licensees with VHF and UHF radio systems to comply with the FCC’s “narrowband” mandate and has established an industry information website www.NarrowbandingLaw.com. The Firm assists in the review of Requests For Proposals (“RFPs”) for engineering services and new equipment, the filing of FCC applications, and providing advice on compliance issues. The Firm is also engaged in a nationwide effort to educate users about the 2013 deadline.
The Firm’s dedicated staff files hundreds of FCC applications every year for clients utilizing a variety of radio bands for a variety of radio services.
POSITIVE TRAIN CONTROL
The Firm represents railroads in their efforts to implement Positive Train Control (PTC). PTC is a federal law for passenger and freight railroads to implement a system to prevent rail accidents, and will require wireless spectrum. Department Chairman Alan Tilles also serves on the Joint Council on Transit Wireless, and is Chairman of the Joint Council’s Narrowbanding and Rebanding Sections.
The Firm negotiates microwave relocation agreements on behalf of a variety of incumbent licensees.
TOWER LEASES AND RELATED ISSUES
The Firm’s Tower Grouphandles a variety of issues for telecommunications tower owners, lessees and landowners. With the Tower Group’s combined experience in Telecommunications, Real Estate and Finance, they have the skills to handle any tower-related transaction, including leases, brokerage, regulation, zoning, and insurance.
Shulman Rogers assists broadband wireless operators with a variety of spectrum utilization issues, from auction participation and license acquisitions to build-out requirements and spectrum leases. Our telecommunications professionals are available to help navigate the multitude of government programs available to fund the expansion of broadband wireless in rural areas.
IN-BUILDING RADIO COVERAGE
The Firm assists a variety of entities in dealing with the proliferation of local ordinances requiring access to public safety communications within newly constructed buildings. The Firm works with Bi-Directional Amplifier manufacturers and users to ensure that units are effective and do not cause interference.
COMMON CARRIER ISSUES
Common Carriers must be involved with a variety of FCC requirements and filings. The Firm assists Common Carrier clients with Universal Service, North American Numbering Plan, CALEA and CPNI filings.
TELECOMMUNICATIONS LITIGATION AND BANKRUPTCY
The Firm handles complex litigation and bankruptcies involving telecommunications companies.
DISTRIBUTED ANTENNA SYSTEMS (DAS)
Shulman Rogers is uniquely qualified to assist clients with regard to their implementation ofDistributed Antenna Systems(DAS). The Firm’s expertise stems from a pool of attorneys with experience on all matters relevant to DAS implementation, including radio propagation, leasing and Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) compliance.
- Telecommunications Department Update
- Michael L. Higgs, Jr. in AGL Magazine - FCC Issues More Tower Violation Fines
- Primer on FCC’s RF Exposure Rules and Regulations
- Alert! FCC Issues Advisory Regarding Customer Propriety Network Information (CPNI) Filings
- Alan Tilles Comments on AMTRAK Train Crash and PTC Implementation
- Shulman Rogers Selected by MBTA for Positive Train Control Implementation
- Alan Tilles selected as part of Judging Panel for 2015 SmartRail USA Innovation Awards
- Alan Tilles and Jeff Rubin explain in Urgent Communications Magazine what RCC Consultants' Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing means to customers
- Shulman Rogers wins significant land mobile radio case
- Keep up with the latest in Telecomm
- Chairman of the Shulman Rogers Telecommunications Department Comments on what 470-512 MHz Land Mobile Radio licensees should be doing.
- Alan Tilles: Challenges significant as rail companies try to meet PTC deadline of Dec. 31, 2015
- Shulman Rogers helps New Jersey city get FCC approval of 800 MHz settlement
- Public safety radio project going vertical in Orleans
- Ideas needed to fix post-rebanding interference
- FCC updates CPNI rules to protect carrier information on devices
- FCC clarifies rules for TETRA use
- A Lawyer’s Take on the Court’s Shot Clock Decision
- L.A. County Negotiates 800 MHz Rebanding and System Upgrade
- LA County taps Harris for new P25 system
- Video’s role in Boston saga begs policy issues
- Regarding 911 abuses, let’s swat the swatters
- Alan Tilles, chair of the Telecommunications practice at Shulman Rogers, Gandal, Pordy & Ecker has been named co-counsel of the Radio Club of America.