With over 30 years of wireless experience, Alan Tilles is viewed as one of the “go-to” attorneys in the industry regarding spectrum utilization. From radio manufacturers, to frequency coordinators, radio engineers, public safety agencies, railroads and utilities, he is frequently called upon to create innovative answers to complex technological problems. A client recently noted, “Alan and his staff provided unparalleled legal representation for Mobile County. We would have been taken advantage of had it not been for the persistence, experience and knowledge base that the firm brought to the table.” Other clients note that they always want Alan on the phone during negotiations because he understands the technology.
In addition to providing clients with peace of mind and excellent guidance with respect to their legal needs, professional reporters often call on Alan to opine on the latest happenings in the telecommunications arena.
Alan’s work in wireless goes well beyond simply reviewing contracts and writing FCC comments. Rather, using his extensive background owning and running radio stations, Alan has been at the forefront of conceiving and proposing rules at the FCC to address problems faced by the wireless industry. Major projects include: authoring rules for land mobile radio narrowbanding; representing hundreds of public safety entities in 800 MHz rebanding; authoring rules defining interference; writing and evaluating Requests for Proposal to implement public safety radio systems; and helping railroads acquire spectrum for Positive Train Control.
Considering this background, both technically and legally, cybersecurity work was a natural outgrowth of Alan’s expertise. As a member of the Shulman Rogers Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Practice, Alan helps companies implement data privacy policies, provides important assistance when breaches occur, and partners with the Firm’s litigation and government contracting teams on cyber litigation issues. Working with the best outside cyber technicians, Alan is able to bring incredible technological understanding to cyber problems. Alan’s service on the Board of Trustees of Capitol Technology University further aids Alan’s insight into the world of data privacy.
However, there’s another side to Alan’s legal work. As a musician since childhood, Alan represents numerous bands and entertainers. The breadth of Alan’s work includes working on recording contracts, television and live performance agreements, as well as copyright and trademark issues. As a result, he has received appreciative mentions in a number of albums by several musicians.
As one of the most sought-after public speakers in the country, Alan can be seen at seminars and webinars nationwide on a regular basis, including the International Wireless Communications Expo and the Global Transport Forum. His writing can be seen on websites such as Urgent Communications, and he is a regular contributor on Federal News Radio.
Involved in the radio industry since the age of 16, Alan majored in Radio, Television & Film at the University of Maryland. After graduating from Catholic University's Columbus School of Law in 1982, he began representing radio broadcasters with the Washington, D.C. law firm of Hayes & White. When he joined Meyer, Faller, Weisman & Rosenberg, P.C. in 1984, he began utilizing his background in radio to help advance the interests of land mobile radio clients, internet service providers and technology companies by bringing technical understanding to legal issues. The Firm merged with Shulman Rogers in 1998.
- Shulman Rogers Filing FCC STA Requests at No Charge for California Public Safety Agencies Affected by Fires
- Alan Tilles talks with Communications Daily on 5G deployment negotiations
- Wireless Industry publication FierceWireless focuses on Shulman Rogers’ filing on behalf of multiple municipalities
- Alan Tilles talks with Law360: How The GOP May Undo Wheeler's Telecom Legacy
- Alan Tilles discusses land-mobile-radio (LMR) systems at IWCE's Critical LTE Communications Forum in Chicago
- Alan Tilles quoted in Law360: Net Neutrality Rules In Jeopardy With Trump Win
- Alan Tilles asked to serve as a judge for Law Rocks NYC
- Shulman Rogers Obtains Extension Waiver For L.A. County Public Safety Radio System
- Shulman Rogers Helps Create New Non-Profit Representing Public Service Entities
- Allan Tilles quoted in law360: 5 Tips For Litigating Against The FCC
- Alan Tilles talks with Law360: States, Localities Take Larger Role In Telecom Merger Reviews
- Alan Tilles discusses Charter and Time Warner Cable merger with Law360
- Alan Tilles published in Cyber Security Law & Practice: US Senators' encryption bill forces discussion
- Shulman Rogers Assists New York MTA In Obtaining Positive Train Control Spectrum
- City of Denver gains waiver of Inter-Category Sharing Freeze in the 800 MHz Frequency Band, represented by Alan Tilles
- Alaska Railroad Gains 220 MHz Licenses for PTC System, Represented by Alan Tilles
- Shulman Rogers Selected by MBTA for Positive Train Control Implementation
- Federal News Radio: Alan Tilles discusses the communications failures during the recent METRO smoke/arcing incident
- Chairman of the Shulman Rogers Telecommunications Department Comments on what 470-512 MHz Land Mobile Radio licensees should be doing.
- Shulman Rogers helps New Jersey city get FCC approval of 800 MHz settlement
- Denial of Service Attacks against Public Safety Answering Points (PSAPs)
- FCC clarifies rules for TETRA use
- L.A. County Negotiates 800 MHz Rebanding and System Upgrade
- Regarding 911 abuses, let’s swat the swatters
- Proper license transfers save a lot of grief
- Shulman Rogers Telecom Partner Alan Tilles files DFW Airport plan to install 700 MHz Public-Safety Broadband Network
- FCC Issues Declaratory Ruling Establishing Timeframes For State & Localities To Process Wireless Tower Applications
- Alan Tilles to moderate Operational Considerations for NG911
June 28, 2018
- Gigabit City Summit offers insights into infrastructure investment and civic impact
June 26, 2018
- Alan Tilles to lead session at Transport Security & Safety Expo
- Alan Tilles leads session at annual DAS Congress
June 11, 2018
- Alan Tilles to speak at WIA's Connect (X) Connectivity Expo
- Alan Tilles speaks at inaugural IoT Saving Lives conference
May 14, 2018
- Alan Tilles to present at International Wireless Communications Expo 2018
- Alan Tilles to speak during two panels at IWCE's Critical LTE Communications Forum
November 8, 2017
- Telecommunications Department Chair Alan Tilles to present two sessions at Service Delivery Innovation Summit
September 28, 2017
- Global Gaming Expo 2016
September 27, 2016
- Cybersecurity Breakfast Program: How to Minimize the Risk of and Liability from a Data Breach or Cyber Attack on a Limited Budget
April 19, 2016
- International Wireless Communications Expo
- Alan Tilles and Joy Einstein Presenting at APCO's 81st Annual Conference and Expo
August 16, 2015
- 33rd Annual Monetary & Trade Conference Cyber Security: Threats and Reactions
January 27, 2015
- TETRA: Exploring use cases, myths and misconceptions
February 28, 2013
- Public Safety Broadband Education
July 26, 2011
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Mr. Tilles has been a featured speaker for many years at the annual International Wireless Communications Expo.
- Mr. Tilles conceived and was the lead presenter for the Penton Media "800 MHz rebanding Seminars", which took place across the country.
- Mr. Tilles is a featured speaker at numerous APCO and other land mobile trade shows.
- Alan Tilles and Georgina Feigen successfully defend San Bernardino County, CA in $92 million system upgrade
- Radio System Rebanding for Martin County
Professional & Community Affiliations
- IWCE Advisory Committee, Member
- Radio Club of America, Member
- Federal Communications Bar Association, Member
- Spectrum Committee - APCO International, Member
- Entertainment and Sports Law Committee - Maryland Bar Association, Member
- Capitol Technology University, Board of Trustees Member