In nearly 20 years of practicing bankruptcy law, Stephen Metz has garnered a reputation for being a tremendous advocate for his clients. While typically meeting clients and opposing counsel under less-than-favorable conditions, Steve applies his signature techniques to each situation: he is fair-minded, a good listener and a straight shooter, providing his best advice and legal tactics in a calm but decisive manner. In addition to earning the respect and appreciation of those he represents, Steve has been referred to by his legal colleagues as one of the best bankruptcy attorneys in Maryland.
Steve concentrates his practice in litigation involving bankruptcy, creditors' rights, title disputes and real estate. He frequently represents debtors, creditors, and other parties in bankruptcy cases in various industries, including telecommunications, retail, financial services, real estate, insurance and consumer credit. He also regularly represents title insurance companies in protecting the interests of owners and lenders in cases involving lien priority disputes, easements, equitable subrogation, reformation of deeds and deeds of trust, and other title-related actions in state and federal courts at the trial and appellate levels.
Serving as Co-Chair of the Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights Group and Chair of the Title Dispute Resolution Group at Shulman Rogers, Steve's accomplishments have also led to prominence outside the firm. He is the Past-President of the Bankruptcy Bar Association of the District of Maryland. Steve also devotes time to educational programs, and recently acted as a panelist at the 2015 Advanced Bankruptcy Institute. He has also been awarded a top AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell and has repeatedly been named to Maryland SuperLawyers.
Recent representative matters include:
- On behalf of secured creditor, won contested chapter 11 confirmation hearing involving competing plans in case involving real estate
- Successful representation of landlords in large retail bankruptcy cases
- Managed and brought to successful resolution preference actions and claims objections on behalf of debtors in several retail cases
- Representation of disbursing agent in confirmed chapter 11 plan in a trucking case
- Won dischargeability and other matters in bankruptcy cases concerning domestic relations issues
- Won summary judgment on behalf of secured lender in lien priority dispute with judgment lien creditor asserting a senior lien interest
- Won appeal on behalf of owners against neighbor seeking to impose an easement on owners’ property
- Shulman Rogers Attorneys Honored by Inclusion on 2016 Maryland and Washington DC Super Lawyers Listings
- Stephen Metz Elected to President of Bankruptcy Bar Association for District of MD
- Shulman Rogers Attorneys Honored by Inclusion on 2015 Maryland Super Lawyers Listing
- Shulman Rogers Attorneys Honored by Inclusion on 2014 Maryland Super Lawyers Listing
- Hostess Pension Diversion Could Spell Big Trouble
- Kodak Noteholders Battle Over Ch. 11 Cash
- Mort Faller and Steve Metz Obtain Confirmation of Secured Creditor's Plan in Contested Confirmation Hearing Regarding Competing Chapter 11 Plans
- Bankruptcy Bar Association Spring Break 2014
- Advanced Bankruptcy Institute, March 12, 2014
March 12, 2014
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Potential Pitfalls for Individual Chapter 11 Debtors Under BAPCPA...Why Not File a Chapter 13 Case?
- The Big Three Preference Defenses: Contemporaneous Exchange, Ordinary Course of Business, Subsequent Advance/New Value
- Hot Issues for Mortgage Lenders in Recent Foreclosure and Bankruptcy Cases
- Chapter 11 Plan Issues (Panel Presenter)
- Family Law Court – Round 2? Issues in Bankruptcy Involving Domestic Relations
- Chapter 11 Governance: Advising the Closely-Held Business (Panel Presenter)
- Ethical Issues (Panel Presenter)
- Recent Business Bankruptcy Decisions (Panel Presenter)
- Single Asset Real Estate Cases (Panel Presenter)
- Stern v. Marshall: What Will Bankruptcy Judges Do Now With Their Spare Time?
- Summary Judgment Motions, Collateral Estoppel, Res Judicata and Judicial Estoppel (Panel Presenter)
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Bankruptcy Bar Association of the District of Maryland, Past-President, current; Chair of Local Rules Committee, 2007; Greenbelt Chapter Chair, 2007-2008; Assistant Secretary, 2008-2009; Secretary, 2009-2010; Assistant Treasurer, 2010-2011; Assistant Secretary, 2012-2013; Secretary, 2013-2014
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- Bar Association of Montgomery County, MD, Member
- Northern Virginia Bankruptcy Bar Association, Member
- Walter B. Chandler American Inn of Court
- Identity, Inc., Board of Directors