When clients hire Mark, they receive much more than excellent legal counsel. He draws upon his U.S. Army, electrical engineering and business backgrounds to provide a 360-degree perspective on matters involving government contracts, commercial transactions, law enforcement and international trade. Mark’s multi-faceted skills and experience enables him to efficiently get deals done, provide insightful solutions and help clients with:
- Negotiating prime government contracts and subcontracts, classified programs, resolving disputes and winning bid protests.
- Negotiating business transactions for technology, telecommunications, energy, data, trade secrets and intellectual property.
- Regulatory compliance with FCC, DSS/NISPOM, CFIUS, ITAR, EAR and OFAC requirements including FEMA/DSCA, FirstNet and x911.
- Counseling on ECPA, NSL, FISA, CALEA and related counterterrorism law enforcement activities.
- Investigating and mitigating liabilities from terror, cyber, insider and FOCI threats.
Recently retired from the U.S. Army Reserves as a Colonel, Mark was Army North's emergency preparedness officer for Maryland and responded to domestic emergencies such as to the Sept. 11 Pentagon attack, Baltimore Riots and Ebola Crisis. Previously, he was a tactical battalion commander, JSOC's task force J6 responsible for all C5ISR assets and served in Iraq, Afghanistan and Europe in special operations, intelligence and homeland defense and communications units. Mark has substantial experience with IC platforms as a member of a SMU and SAPs.
Prior to his legal career, Mark was an electrical engineer and international business executive where he started a consulting business in Boston, provided regional expertise in Australia, harmonized U.S. products in Denmark and managed telecommunication QA teams across Europe.
Mark chairs the firm’s Government Contracts and Technology Transactions Practices, co-chairs the Federal Communications Bar Association's Homeland Security and Emergency Communications Committee, chairs Montgomery County’s Dickerson Area Facilities Implementation Group and is active in veteran programs.
- Security clearance information upon request
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) United States (US)
- Certified Contracting Officer's Representative (COR)
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE)
Government Contracts - Technology:
- Represented Graph Database Developer in the successful bid protest of a sole source award for the provision of large database products and services to a civilian agency.
- Represented smartphone manufacturer in the successful protest of a DHS sole source purchase of smartphones. Obtained the inclusion of the client manufacture back into competitive consideration.
Government Contracts - Classified and General:
- Represented large Government Contractor in the negotiation of multiple datacenter construction and operations for classified datacenter services to intelligence community agencies.
- Represented classified government contractor in the successful intervention in opposition to a protest of a TS/SCI data exploitation contract and prevented additional awardees, reconsideration, and any other corrective action.
- Represented benefits provider in the unwinding of a business purchase due to a denial of the novation request, including transferring employees, intellectual property, assigned contracts, ongoing business and capital assets.
- Represented classified government contractor in the assessments, valuations, diligence, subcontractor disputes, alliance formation and development of market strategies for the provision of operational support and training services.
Government Contracts - Energy:
- Represented multiple national and regional electricity services providers in the negotiation for the generation, transmission, distribution and sale of geothermal, bio steam, solar and wind energy to the U.S. Government under Marine Corp energy savings performance contracts (ESPC), Army multiple award task order contracts (MATOC), Navy power purchase agreements (PPA) and GSA area-wide contracts.
- Represented energy grid operator in the counseling of energy resiliency, microgrids, security enclaves and proximity-based threat prioritization.
- Represented nuclear, geothermal, biothermal and offshore wind companies in the contracting with the DOE’s national labs to conduct research and development under agreements for commercializing technology (ACT), cooperative research and development agreements (CRADA), works for others (WFO) agreements and assistance agreements (AA).
Government Contracts - Utility:
- Represented electricity and gas utility in the negotiation of a 50-year electricity and gas utility privatization contracts including creating new provisions with DLA governing system disposition and clawing back post-termination costs due to a BRAC closure.
- Represented international vehicle manufacturer in the negotiation of joint venture agreements, data acquisition and commercialization of new usage-based insurance services.
- Represented U.S. telecommunications carrier in the negotiation and performance of a billion-dollar IT outsourcings in parallel with conducting a highly sensitive national security investigations and remediation of data security issues subject to DSS NISPOM compliance requirements under classified contracts. Negotiated intellectual property (IP) ownership and license rights.
- Represented international ocean terminal operator in the design and implementation of a large automated container port logistics systems using RFID, OCR, GPS, and WiFi. Negotiated intellectual property (IP) ownership and license rights.
- Represented smartphone manufacturer in the development and sales of new products compliant with FirstNet requirements operating over LTE, HF and satellite networks.
- Represented aerospace and defense company in a settlement with the FCC and avoidance of forfeitures in connection with the transfer of spectrum as part of an M&A spin-off.
- Represented international food and beverage provider to the airline industry in the creation, purchase, transition and certification of an in-flight Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) compliant system. Negotiated intellectual property (IP) ownership and license rights.
Counterterrorism Law Enforcement:
- Represented provider of specialized services in its response to national security letters, counterterrorism activities and related compliance obligations under the USA PATRIOT, USA FREEDOM, ECPA, FISA and CALEA Acts.
- Represented off-shore investment fund in the review and compliance with CFIUS requirements as part of its acquisition of a U.S. manufacturer of security products.
- Represented weapons manufacturer in foreign military sales (FMS) requirements, investigations and compliance actions.
- Represented international aerostructures manufacturer in its review and compliance with ITAR/EAR requirements as part of its potential purchase of a U.S. jet engine parts manufacturer.
- Represented U.S. subsidiary of an Asian parent organization in the mitigation of FOCI risks and ongoing compliance with CFIUS and DSS requirements under a National Security Agreement (NSA) and a Special Security Agreement (SSA).
- Represented U.S. telecommunications carrier in its core business outsourcing to an offshore provider.
- Cyber threats to the energy grid and transportation infrastructure
- Shulman Rogers taps Mark J. Maier to lead government contracts and technology transactions practices
- A Triple Threat to The Private Sector, SIGNAL (May 2017)
- Cyber threats to the energy grid and transportation infrastructure
December 13, 2017
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Homeland Security and Emergency Communications Committee Co-Chair, Federal Communications Bar Association
- Colonel, U.S. Army (Retired)