Jeffrey S. Holik is Of Counsel in Shulman Rogers' Business and Financial Services Department and chair of the firm’s Financial Regulatory and Compliance practice. He represents clients - including bank-affiliated broker-dealers, financial planners, investment advisers, and individuals - on a variety of FINRA and SEC regulatory counseling and investigative matters. He also serves as a mediator of customer and intra-industry disputes and as an expert consultant and witness. Jeff has a deep understanding of the financial services industry and a proven track record of success partnering with in-house counsel, compliance officers and business leaders to manage legal, regulatory and reputational risk.
Jeff has particular proficiency in the following areas:
- Retail securities sales practices, suitability, supervision
- New product vetting and due diligence
- Regulatory reporting, including Form U4/U5 questions, outside business activities, customer complaints
- FINRA's statutory disqualification and membership application programs
- Senior investor issues
- Customer complaint management and resolution
- Governance, conflict management and internal controls
Jeff joined Shulman Rogers in 2015 after serving as the Chief Legal Officer for the retail investment businesses of PNC Bank. Prior to that, he spent almost 10 years on the senior staff at NASD (now FINRA), where he held positions in the Office of the President, the Department of Member Regulation, and the Office of General Counsel. Previously, he served for five years at the CFTC, first as Associate General Counsel for appellate litigation and later as Deputy Director of Enforcement. Jeff started his career in private law practice, progressing to partnerships in two large national law firms. His early private practice focused on federal and state trial litigation and government investigations.
- Jeffrey Holik published in 401(k) Specialist magazine: Has the DOL Rule Really Changed 401k Rollovers?
- Jeffrey Holik and Renee Kramer published in BISA Newsletter: Cross-Selling Remains a Key Strategy for Banks, So Let's Get It Right
- Jeffrey Holik published in Financial Markets Association: The Department of Labor Conflict of Interest Rule: Some Modest Predictions
- Jeff Holik featured speaker at Financial Markets Association 25th Annual Securities Compliance Seminar
- Jeff Holik published in Bloomberg BNA: Cultivating a 'Culture of Compliance''
- Jeff Holik and Renee Kramer published in Financial Markets Association Newsletter
- Jeff Holik and Renee Kramer published in Law360: A Fiduciary Standard For Brokerage Firms May Be Inevitable
- Law360 Announces FINRA Honcho, Jeffrey S. Holik, Joins Shulman Rogers
- Shulman Rogers Welcomes Former Senior FINRA Official Jeffrey S. Holik
Professional & Community Affiliations
- General Counsel, Glen Echo Park
- Regulatory and Compliance Advisory Board, Bank Insurance & Securities Association
- Trustee, Historic Annapolis Foundation, 2014-2016 - Chair, Governance and Nominating Committee
- Board of Directors, Anne Arundel Conflict Resolution Center, 2012-2014