The fact that many of Doug Hirsch's clients have entrusted him with their real estate leasing needs for more than 30 years is the true measure of his ability to negotiate effectively and efficiently. He is able to get the deal done while protecting their interests. Clients often cite his professionalism and calm demeanor in dealing with opposing parties as reasons why they continue bringing their matters to him, and encourage others to do the same. Doug has a reputation for being able to explain complicated lease provisions and how they interact in real life situations in plain English instead of legalese.
Doug's practice focuses on office, retail and industrial leasing as well as complex real estate and commercial transactions. He has extensive experience in land acquisitions, ground leases, sale and leaseback transactions and construction contracts, as well as management and brokerage agreements.
His proficiency and professionalism have been acknowledged by being appointed to lead both the Real Estate Department and the Leasing Practice Group at Shulman Rogers, as well as serve on the firm's Board of Directors. Doug also leads educational seminars for the real estate broker community.
Representative transactions on which he has worked include:
- Represented a tenant in leasing 253,000 square feet of office space in two buildings
- Represented a retailer in leasing 50 locations
- Represented a government contractor in leasing 145,000 square feet of space in Hanover, Maryland
- Represented a national law firm in connection with new lease for 69,000 square feet of space in Washington, D.C.
- Represented owner of a 4 building complex containing over 900,000 square feet of space
- Represented owner in leasing/selling a portfolio of “Big Box” stores to grocery stores, home furnishing stores and other retail tenants
- Represented property owner in negotiating long term ground lease with a recognized local developer
- Represented tenant in leasing 320,000 square feet of space in Washington, D.C.
- Represented owner of multi-building medical complex in leasing medical offices
- Represented franchisee of national restaurant chain in leasing numerous restaurant locations
- "Health Care Dilemma - Leasing of Space as a Medical Outpatient Center", Commercial Lease Law and Strategy, July 1994
- "Guiding the Court - Don't Underestimate Bankruptcy Clauses in Commercial Leases", Commercial Lease Law and Strategy, April 1997
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Lecturer, Georgetown University Law Center, Commercial Leasing Institute
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Maryland Bar Association, Member
- District of Columbia Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Bar Association of Montgomery County, MD, Member
- International Council of Shopping Centers, Member
- Greater Washington Commercial Association of Realtors