Jeffrey S. Gavenman is an associate in the Firm’s Commercial Litigation Department. Clients work with Jeff because of his excellent litigation skills, his tireless work ethic, and his ability to develop an effective, comprehensive strategic plan for each client. The National Trial Lawyers Association recently recognized Jeff’s extraordinary legal work by selecting him as a member of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers for the state of Maryland.
Jeff has a wide breadth of experience, which he uses to take a successful, 360-degree approach to litigation. Jeff has represented Fortune 100 companies and individual plaintiffs; he has litigated cases with international implications and tried local disputes; he has represented clients in international commercial litigation, government investigations, employment law matters and cross-border transactions. This comprehensive perspective gives Jeff an intimate understanding of the motivations of all parties in a dispute, including the insurance companies that often are involved, and the attorneys on both sides. Jeff uses this unique perspective to help drive favorable settlements and place first and consistently meet the needs of his clients.
Jeff also brings unique international experience to the table. He has lived and worked in Hungary, Israel, Kosovo and Romania, giving him the ability to understand first-hand and navigate the business and cultural norms of his international clients. Jeff has used his experience and skills to help clients from over a dozen countries achieve their goals. Among Jeff’s noteworthy matters are:
- Represented the American subsidiary of a major Japanese trading company in a $70 million dollar litigation;
- Conducted internal investigations for possible violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) for several major multinational companies;
- Represented multiple clients responding to government investigations, including investigations by the Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Consumer Financial Protection Board (CFPB);
- Served as Advisor to multiple foreign governments on worldwide communication strategy;
- Served as Advisor to three prime ministers on domestic and international communication strategy; and
- Advised small- and mid-cap companies looking to enter emerging markets in Eastern Europe and Latin America.
The diversity of Jeff's litigation experience includes his having successfully:
- Obtained a $3.35 million jury verdict in a D.C. Superior Court case;
- Represented numerous Fortune 500 companies and an Am Law Top 10 law firm in employment litigation;
- Obtained a seven figure settlement on behalf of a plaintiff in a suit in Montgomery County, Maryland;
- Obtained a seven figure settlement on behalf of a plaintiff in a suit in Fairfax County, Virginia;
- Obtained a high six figure settlement on behalf of a plaintiff in a premises liability case; and
- Represented several plaintiffs in product liability cases.
Jeff holds a Bachelor of Arts from the University of California, Los Angeles, cum laude, and holds a Juris Doctor from New York University School of Law, where he won the school’s Oral Advocacy Competition. Prior to joining Shulman Rogers, Jeff was a litigator for two internationally renowned law firms, Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP and Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP. He is admitted to practice in Maryland, New York and Washington, D.C.