David D. Freishtat concentrates his practice on zoning and condemnation law. Mr. Freishtat also focuses on land use and land planning matters, property valuation, property tax assessment appeals, eminent domain issues, contract appeals and landlord-tenant matters.
Mr. Freishtat formerly served as staff counsel to the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission. As associate counsel for the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, his emphasis was on zoning and land use and condemnation law. He served as lead counsel on the development of the Capital Center in Landover, Maryland. While he was with the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission, Mr. Freishtat appeared as a lobbyist before the Maryland General Assembly on legislation affecting the Commission, and represented the Commission as its counsel in eminent domain matters.
Mr. Freishtat has been on the faculty for land use matter seminars presented by MICPEL and the Real Estate Section of the Maryland State Bar Association. He is currently the Chair of the Land Use Committee. He has also taught at the University of Maryland in their paralegal program and has written articles for various professional magazines. He will be an adjunct professor for a course in Fall, 2013, Masters in Real Estate Development program.
Mr. Freishtat served on the Montgomery County Cable Compliance Commission, West Montgomery County Advisory Committee, and currently serves on the Montgomery County Revenue Authority, he is Co-Chair of White Flint Implementation Committee. He was the President of the Bethesda-Chevy Chase Chamber of Commerce in 2000 and remains active within the organization, on the Board of Governors of the Hebrew Home of Greater Washington.
Mr. Freishtat has worked on public-private partnerships representing clients working jointly with the local governments.
- Twenty-three Shulman Rogers Attorneys Recognized in The American Lawyer's "Top Rated Lawyers" Series
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Lecturer - University of Maryland Paralegal Program
- Adjunct Professor - Univeristy of Maryland, Master's Program in Real Estate Development
- Faculty - Land Use Institute
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Member, Local Government Section
- Maryland State Bar Association, Member, Administrative Law Section, Real Estate Section; Chair, Land Use Section
- Bar Association of Montgomery County, MD, Member, Real Estate Section Council
- Urban Land Institute, Member
- Montgomery County Revenue Authority, Member (2009-Present)
- President, Bethesda-Chevy Chase Chamber of Commerce (2000-2001)
- Vice President, Economic Development, Bethesda-Chevy Chase Chamber of Commerce (1994-2000); Member of Board of Directors (1987-2000)
- Member and Chairman, Silver Spring Urban District, 1989-1992
- Member of Board of Directors, Ring House, 1987-Present; Past President, 1987-1990; Revitz House, President
- Member, Board of Governors, Hebrew Home of Greater Washington, 2006-Present