Matt Alegi solves problems. A deal lawyer with significant experience in dispute resolution and regulatory compliance, clients hire him because his practical, results-driven approach gets things done.
While his legal practice spans a wide range of real estate and finance related areas, Matt primarily concentrates on representing buyers, sellers, and lenders in the acquisition, sale and financing of real estate. His practice also involves advising lenders and borrowers regarding problem loans, including loan workouts, loss mitigation strategies and collateralization issues. He regularly represents title insurers and insureds regarding complex real estate title disputes and title insurance claims.
Matt also advises title insurance agents, mortgage brokers, real estate brokers and banks regarding day-to-day operations, dispute resolution and regulatory compliance. He also acts as compliance counsel to local, regional and national builders and developers, specifically regarding outsale contract compliance and RESPA issues, and he has provided legal services to the United States Department of the Treasury under the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP). He regularly represents clients involved in contract disputes.
At Shulman Rogers, Matt is a member of the Board of Directors, and a Shareholder in the firm's Real Estate and Commercial Litigation Departments.
A recognized leader in both the local and state legal communities, Matt currently co-chairs the Bar Association of Montgomery County Real Estate Law Section, and is a past chair of the Title and Closings Committee of the Maryland State Bar Association Real Property Section. In 2012 he was inducted as a Fellow of the Maryland Bar Foundation in recognition of his “outstanding dedication and contribution to maintaining the honor and integrity of the legal profession, the improvement and facilitation of justice, the work of the organized Bar of Maryland and civic leadership” —an honor given to only 2.5% of Maryland State Bar Association members. Frequently asked to serve as an educator, he is a regular speaker at continuing legal education courses, and recently taught at the Maryland Advanced Real Property Institute. He is also a Maryland licensed Real Estate Broker. While attending Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, Matt was a Merit Scholar and Associate Editor of The Journal of Contemporary Health Law and Policy.
- Matt Alegi comments on the latest scam affecting home sales in The Washington Post
- Shulman Rogers Attorneys Honored by Inclusion on 2015 Maryland Super Lawyers Listing
- Shulman’s Alegi Named 2014 “VIP” by The Daily Record
- Buying Main Street: Time To Add Commercial Real Estate To Your Portfolio?
- Homeowner tax break expiration means more debt, short sales
- Say goodbye to the slow short sale process
- Chair of Residential Real Estate Practice Group at Shulman Rogers Promoted to Shareholder
- Alexis Peters, Paul Chung and Matthew Alegi named as Montgomery County Bar Foundation Bar Leaders
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Keynote Speaker, “Fundamentals of Real Estate Closing in Maryland,” Lorman Education Services
- Lecturer, “Pitfalls in Residential Practice; Short Sales, Loan Modifications, Tax Issues, Mediation, and the National Mortgage Servicing Settlement,” Maryland State Bar Association Advanced Real Property Institute
- Lecturer, “Real Estate Closings,” Maryland State Bar Association
- Speaker, “Liability Protection, Entity Selection and Insurance,” Investing in Real Estate, a Presentation of Wealth Strategies Group, NPC
- Speaker, “Cancellation of Indebtedness Income and the Mortgage Debt Forgiveness Relief Act Extension: Plan for 2013,” Business Breakfast of Maryland
- Lecturer or Moderator, Montgomery County Bar Association Real Estate Section, Over 40 educational seminars and meetings
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Maryland State Bar Association, Real Property Section
- Chair, Title and Closings Committee, 2013-2015
- Co-chair, Annual Meeting, 2013, 2014
- Member, Section Council, 2012-2015
- Maryland State Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Bar Association of Montgomery County, MD, Real Estate Section, Co-Chair
- Montgomery County Bar Foundation, "Bar Leader"
- Montrose Woods Association, Board of Directors (2007 - 2011)
- Montgomery County Students Construction Trades Foundation, Board of Directors (2006)