Mr. Schulman is a Shareholder, Vice Chairman of the Firm’s Commercial Litigation Department, and Co-Chairman of the Firm's Business Litigation Group.His practice has been highly diversified, with a concentration in complex commercial litigation matters, international and domestic arbitration, internal investigations, and corporate counseling. He has represented numerous real estate owners and developers, homebuilders, hotel ownership and management companies, hotel franchisors, major foreign and domestic financial institutions, foreign governments, insurance companies, trading concerns, media companies, energy joint ventures, brewers, and an airport development company. Mr. Schulman regularly appears before Federal and state courts in the Washington, D.C. area and throughout the United States and various international and domestic arbitral tribunals.
Mr. Schulman works tirelessly to resolve disputes for his clients as efficiently and effectively as possible. He places great emphasis on creative problem solving, frequently steering disputes to resolution through informal negotiation or mediation. Mr. Schulman, however, is also an experienced trial lawyer, having successfully handled numerous contested proceedings, including jury and non-jury court trials, merits arbitration hearings, temporary restraining order and injunction hearings, dispositive motions hearings and other evidentiary proceedings.
Among Mr. Schulman's recent noteworthy matters are:
- Representation of leading Washington, D.C. trade association in litigation against financial institution concerning $90 million failed loan.
- Representation of one of Japan's largest conglomerates in multi-billion-dollar litigation against two leading New York-based banks arising from their involvement in one of the largest rogue trading scandals in history.
- Representation of leading U.S. homebuilder in litigation concerning $120 million real estate acquisition in the Washington metropolitan area.
- Representation of 50% owner of limited liability company owning $50 million Washington, D.C. office building in dispute concerning sale of property.
- Representation of the principals of a Florida-based technology company in multiple litigations against two leading financial institutions in connection with disputed securities margin agreements.
- Representation of leading German financial institution in connection with opening of branches in the U.S.
- Representation of Russian bank in civil forfeiture action brought by Federal government in connection with Bank of New York money laundering investigation.
- Representation of large minority partner in litigation and pre-litigation disputes concerning various real estate partnerships owning shopping mall, residential apartment complexes, and raw land in the Washington metropolitan area.
- Representation of real estate developer in litigation and various other matters over his interest in $106 million office building and contiguous property located in Washington metropolitan area.
- Representation of New York-based real estate company concerning various disputes with major hotel management company relating to hotels in Florida and Puerto Rico.
- Representation of owner of Downtown Washington hotel in AAA arbitration against major hotel management company concerning proposed hotel renovation.
- Representation of owner of three luxury hotels in Southern California in litigation against leading hotel management company in state court in California concerning mismanagement of hotels.
- Representation of leading hotel franchisor in Federal court appeals concerning breaches of its franchise agreement.
- Representation of sports league in litigation in Federal court in Nevada concerning the design and acquisition of a rocket-powered airplane.
- Representation of software development company in Federal lawsuit against former officer, director, and employee concerning ownership of the company's intellectual property.
- Representation of leading solar energy company in Federal lawsuit against former business partner concerning the former partner's breaches of a reseller agreement.
- Representation of communications company in licensing dispute with software provider and related escrow dispute with leading escrow agent in multi-jurisdictional dispute.
- Representation of internet company in securities fraud action against investors.
- Representation of Asian government in World Bank arbitration concerning rehabilitation of country’s principal thermal power station.
- Representation of leading airport developer in World Bank arbitration against Asian government concerning construction of international passenger terminal.
- Representation of Asian governmental agency in D.C. District Court litigation concerning disputed oil and gas drilling rights.
- Representation of owner of combined-cycle power plant in Brazil in ICC arbitration proceedings and extensive pre-arbitration negotiations in construction dispute with contractor.
- Representation of major insurance company in class action in Ohio state court concerning marketing practices with respect to variable annuity products.
- Representation of major insurance company in litigation in New York State court concerning an alleged breach of a reinsurance contract.
- Representation of brewing company in litigation in New York Federal court against former distributor who alleged improper termination of distributorship agreement
Prior to joining Shulman, Rogers, Mr. Schulman was a commercial litigator in the Washington office of Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP, the New York and Washington office of Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP, and the New York office of LeBoeuf, Lamb, Greene & MacRae LLP. Mr. Schulman began his career as a law clerk to the Honorable John M. Steadman, Associate Judge of the District of Columbia Court of Appeals in Washington, D.C. Mr. Schulman earned his J.D., magna cum laude, from the State University of New York at Buffalo School of Law where he was the Articles Editor of the Buffalo Law Review. He received his undergraduate degree in mathematics and government from Cornell University. Mr. Schulman is a member of the Board of Trustees of the Round House Theatre and the Firm's Hiring Committee.
- Shulman Rogers litigators win $2.88 million jury verdict for Bethesda-based hotel management company
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Round House Theatre, Member, Board of Trustees