With over 30 years of wireless experience, Alan Tilles is viewed as one of the “go-to” attorneys in the industry regarding spectrum utilization. From radio manufacturers, to frequency coordinators, radio engineers, public safety agencies, railroads and utilities, Alan is frequently called upon to create innovative answers to complex technological problems.
Alan’s work in wireless goes well beyond simply reviewing contracts and writing FCC comments. Rather, using his extensive background owning and running radio stations, Alan has been at the forefront of conceiving and proposing rules at the FCC to address problems faced by the wireless industry. Major projects include: authoring rules for land mobile radio narrowbanding; representing hundreds of public safety entities in 800 MHz rebanding; authoring rules defining interference; writing and evaluating Requests for Proposal to implement public safety radio systems; and helping railroads acquire spectrum for Positive Train Control.
Considering this background, both technically and legally, cybersecurity work was a natural outgrowth of Alan’s expertise. As Chairman of the Shulman Rogers Cybersecurity Practice, Alan helps companies implement data privacy policies, provides important assistance when breaches occur, and partners with the Firm’s litigation and government contracting teams on cyber litigation issues. Working with the best outside cyber technicians, Alan is able to bring incredible technological understanding to cyber problems. Alan’s service on the Board of Trustees of Capitol Technology University further aids Alan’s insight into the world of data privacy.
However, there’s another side to Alan’s legal work. As a musician since childhood, Alan represents numerous bands and entertainers. The breadth of Alan’s work includes working on recording contracts, television and live performance agreements, as well as copyright and trademark issues. As a result, he has received appreciative mentions in a number of albums by several musicians.
As one of the most sought-after public speakers in the country, Alan can be seen at seminars and webinars nationwide on a regular basis, including the International Wireless Communications Expo and the Global Transport Forum. His writing can be seen on websites such as Urgent Communications, and he is a regular contributor on Federal News Radio.
Involved in the radio industry since the age of 16, Alan majored in Radio, Television & Film at the University of Maryland. After graduating from Catholic University's Columbus School of Law in 1982, he began representing radio broadcasters with the Washington, D.C. law firm of Hayes & White. When he joined Meyer, Faller, Weisman & Rosenberg, P.C. in 1984, he began utilizing his background in radio to help advance the interests of land mobile radio clients, internet service providers and technology companies by bringing technical understanding to legal issues. The Firm merged with Shulman Rogers in 1998.
- City of Denver gains waiver of Inter-Category Sharing Freeze in the 800 MHz Frequency Band, represented by Alan Tilles
- Alaska Railroad Gains 220 MHz Licenses for PTC System, Represented by Alan Tilles
- Alan Tilles Comments on AMTRAK Train Crash and PTC Implementation
- Shulman Rogers Selected by MBTA for Positive Train Control Implementation
- Alan Tilles selected as part of Judging Panel for 2015 SmartRail USA Innovation Awards
- Alan Tilles and Jeff Rubin explain in Urgent Communications Magazine what RCC Consultants' Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing means to customers
- Alan Tilles discusses the future First Responder Network Authority on Federal News Radio
- Federal News Radio: Alan Tilles discusses the communications failures during the recent METRO smoke/arcing incident
- Keep up with the latest in Telecomm
- Chairman of the Shulman Rogers Telecommunications Department Comments on what 470-512 MHz Land Mobile Radio licensees should be doing.
- Alan Tilles: Challenges significant as rail companies try to meet PTC deadline of Dec. 31, 2015
- Shulman Rogers helps New Jersey city get FCC approval of 800 MHz settlement
- Public safety radio project going vertical in Orleans
- The Changing Nature of Federal IT Acquisition
- Ideas needed to fix post-rebanding interference
- Denial of Service Attacks against Public Safety Answering Points (PSAPs)
- FCC clarifies rules for TETRA use
- Share Your Thoughts on Key Topics with the FCC
- L.A. County Negotiates 800 MHz Rebanding and System Upgrade
- LA County taps Harris for new P25 system
- Video’s role in Boston saga begs policy issues
- National Institute of Standards and Technology Releases Updated Cybersecurity Guidance Document
- Regarding 911 abuses, let’s swat the swatters
- Alan Tilles Interviewed on Genachowski Stepping Down
- Proper license transfers save a lot of grief
- Shulman Rogers client Mighty Mo Rodgers nominated for five Grammy awards!
- Shulman Rogers Retained to Represent Los Angeles County in 800 MHz Rebanding
- Shulman Rogers Obtains Extension Of Wireless Deadline For Delta Airlines
- Here's a Little T-Band Aid
- Shulman Rogers Telecom Partner Alan Tilles files DFW Airport plan to install 700 MHz Public-Safety Broadband Network
- Alan Tilles, chair of the Telecommunications practice at Shulman Rogers, Gandal, Pordy & Ecker has been named co-counsel of the Radio Club of America.
- FCC ADVOCATES NARROWBANDING COMPLIANCE
- Shulman Rogers to Assist Passenger Railroads with Federal Technology Grant Applications
- Alert! FCC Issues Advisory Regarding Customer Propriety Network Information (CPNI) Filings
- FCC Issues Declaratory Ruling Establishing Timeframes For State & Localities To Process Wireless Tower Applications
- Researchers Develop Paint That Blocks Radio Signals
- A Nearly Impossible Job
- Alan Tilles and Joy Einstein Presenting at APCO's 81st Annual Conference and Expo
August 16, 2015
- Smart Rail Congress and Expo
- 33rd Annual Monetary & Trade Conference Cyber Security: Threats and Reactions
January 27, 2015
- IWCE 2014
- TETRA: Exploring use cases, myths and misconceptions
February 28, 2013
- Shared Solutions Seminar Part 90 VHF/UHF Narrowbanding
February 9, 2012
- Public Safety Broadband Education
July 26, 2011
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Mr. Tilles has been a featured speaker for many years at the annual International Wireless Communications Expo.
- Mr. Tilles concieved and was the lead presenter for the Penton Media "800 MHz rebanding Seminars", which took place across the country.
- Mr. Tilles is a featured speaker at numerous APCO and other land mobile trade shows.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- IWCE Advisory Committee, Member
- Radio Club of America, Member
- Federal Communications Bar Association, Member
- Spectrum Committee - APCO International, Member
- Entertainment and Sports Law Committee - Maryland Bar Association, Member